Help needed to learn typeof(return)

Vinod K Chandran kcvinu82 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 18:25:54 UTC 2022

Hi all,
I am reading `Programming in D` online book. There is a paragraph
in the chapter `More Templates`.
```
typeof(return) generates the return type of a function, inside
that function.
For example, instead of defining the calculate() function above
as an auto function, we can be more explicit by replacing auto
with LargerOf!(A, B) in its definition. (Being more explicit
would have the added benefit of obviating at least some part of
its function comment.)
```
And it shows this code.
```d
LargerOf!(A, B) calculate(A, B)(A a, B b) {
     typeof(return) result;    // The type is either A or B
     // ...
     return result;
}
```
The author says `LargerOf!(A, B)` is used instead of `auto`
keyword. How did compiler understands the return type from
`LargerOf!(A, B)`.