Google Code Jam 2022

Tejas notrealemail at gmail.com
Fri May 6 11:16:19 UTC 2022

On Friday, 6 May 2022 at 08:25:34 UTC, Siarhei Siamashka wrote:
> On Friday, 6 May 2022 at 07:05:35 UTC, zjh wrote:
>> For example, I think `d` can also make use of `'winrt'`, which
>> is very important for `GUI` programming . `D` officials should
>> pay attention to `it`.
>>
>> I have downloaded `dwinrt` and has many compilation errors!
>
> Regularly introducing compatibility breaking changes in the
> language and effectively pulling the rug from under the
> developer's feet can make maintaining a medium or large project
> rather expensive. And I guess, a lot of people hesitate to use
> D language in production because of this reason. The old code
> bitrots and stops compiling. Not everyone is ready to pay this
> tax. Long term maintenance is just much cheaper when using the
> other programming languages.
>
> But again, programming competitions are all about just writing
> quick and dirty disposable code. If my solution submitted in a
> programming contest is going to stop compiling by a future
> version of the compiler, then I couldn't care less. So one of
> the major D language disadvantages has no real impact on its
> suitability for programming competitions. At least in theory.
> But maybe I'm missing something?

Maybe the languages being chosen simply reflect the status quo?

A lot of people participate to get job offers, not because
they're enthusiastic about CP itself, so they just use the
language they're looking to get a job in/think has the highest
job prospects.

Sure, they can use a more fringe language, but why bother?
There'll be extra time and effort involved in learning how to do
stuff with that language, resources that could have been better
spent becoming better at the mainstream language instead, which
they might have to do anyways since those are the languages that
they'll actually use at the job.

I don't think they have any incentive to use non- mainstream
languages(atleast those that are just in it to get the job), that
time is better spent on practicing more problems/reading someone
else's solution(which would also most likely be in
C++/Python/JavaScript/etc...)

This is why I don't think there's any reason to believe that CP
participants will use a fringe language in competitions.