What are (were) the most difficult parts of D?

matheus matheus at gmail.com
Wed May 11 13:37:21 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 11 May 2022 at 05:41:35 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> What are you stuck at? What was the most difficult features to
> understand? etc.
>
> To make it more meaningful, what is your experience with other
> languages?
>
> Ali

I don't know if this will be helpful but here it goes, my user
case is different since I use D as C on steroids.

My first language was C and I have projects in this language
which I still maintain and my brain is used to it, but depending
the project I'll use D instead of C to use features like: GC, AA,
Strings, Modules and maybe Classes if I feel like it, but I don't
go to far from these and one reason is sometimes in a rich
language with lots of features like D It gets hard to stay up to
date.

Now I know they must be useful to many others, but one thing that
I don't like are the Attributes part, for me there are so many
and this is a bit overwhelming (Again to me), for example need to
think about: "@safe, @trusted, @system" while still prototyping
may be a cumbersome, and if it's giving me trouble I'll just get
rid of it. :)

Again I should sit and read the documentation or your book again
but it's hard to keep up-to-date sometimes with work and so on.

By the way I used to program in C# at work too, but I stopped on
whatever was the version that runs with .Net 4.6, again this is
another case of language changing or adding so many features that
I decided not to go on with it, since it's not required where I
work (Occasionally I write a few batch programs here and there),
and I'm current doing more database business at the company these
days,

Sorry for any English mistakes,

Matheus.