What are (were) the most difficult parts of D?

Basile B. b2.temp at gmx.com
Thu May 12 11:05:08 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 11 May 2022 at 05:41:35 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> What are you stuck at? What was the most difficult features to
> understand? etc.
>
> To make it more meaningful, what is your experience with other
> languages?
>
> Ali

Overhall I think that D was not hard to learn because well
designed (i.e intuitive).

A few specific points however that I remember

- Certain variant forms of the `is` Expression are not obvious
(not intuitive), I'm pretty sure I still cant use them without a
quick look to the specs.

- Operator overloading in certain cases was confusing, I remember
that for one particular form once I had to use your book instead
of the official specs (when opSlice and opIndex are combined)

The main difficulty I had is actually not specific to D. It was
to accept that a GC is OK.