Tracing/Profiling D Applications

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Sun May 29 21:08:37 UTC 2022

On 5/29/22 13:47, Christian Köstlin wrote:

 > Our discussion with using TLS for the
 > collectors proposed to not need any lock on the add method for
 > collector, because its thread local and with that thread safe?

It would be great that way but then the client changed the requirements
on us:

On 5/26/22 12:54, Christian Köstlin wrote:
 > I want to be able to dump tracings even while the program is still
running.

:p

If the collected data were TLS, then the dumping thread should be able
to ask each thread to provide data collected so far. That either
requires synchronization, which I did, which necessitated shared
Collector objects; or messaging, which would require each thread
checking their Concurrency message box.

I don't know...

A third option came to me: Each thread periodically puts their data to a
common location and dumper dumps whatever is aggregated up to that
point. This would reduce contention.

Ali