dirEntries removes entire branches of empty directories

kdevel kdevel at vogtner.de
Mon Nov 14 21:05:01 UTC 2022

On Friday, 11 November 2022 at 16:00:12 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> On 11/11/22 05:13, kdevel wrote:
>
> > dmd -O compiled patched (see below!) version applied to
> /usr/bin on my
> > desktop
> > yields:
> >
> > ftw       : 363 ms, 750 ÎŒs, and 5 [*]
> > dirEntries: 18 secs, 831 ms, 738 ÎŒs, and 3 [*]
>
> Great. I did not use -O with my test. It may have to do
> something with the performance of the hard disk.

It has to do with the large number of symlinks. When I use

    dirEntries(root, SpanMode.depth, false)

the runtime is dramatically reduced and with

    entries ~= DirectoryEntry(entry, entry.size);

the runtimes are

    ftw       : 98 ms, 470 ÎŒs, and 2 *beeep*
    dirEntries: 170 ms, 515 ÎŒs, and 2 *beeep*

(to be continued)