Is defining get/set methods for every field overkill?

Wed Nov 23 23:03:27 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 23 November 2022 at 22:43:54 UTC, []() {}() wrote:

My last post ;-)

It seems far too many people conflate classes and oop.

You can do oop without classes (whether you would want to is
another question all together).

You can also use class-types without doing oop.

A class-type is just a type. If you're against a class-type, you
must also be against an int type, a char type, a function type,
and enum type.....

Now *clearly* many D users appear to be in the anti oop camp.

But please don't be in the anti class-type camp.

Class 'types' really are an extremely useful and important tool
in software engineering, regardless of whether you use them as a
tool to do oop, or not.

That the D module dissolves that perimeters of my types - in
relation to other code in the same module, is a really odd design
decision that I cannot, as yet, get my head around. That is, I
can see no possible way in which this design decision can enhance
my coding, even after having given if way more thought than it
deserves.