Convert int to dchar

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Wed Oct 5 17:16:29 UTC 2022

On Wed, Oct 05, 2022 at 04:57:57PM +0000, Paul via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
>    I'm sure I'm making this more difficult than it needs to be.  I'm
> trying to convert an integer to a dchar.  The solution below works but
> seems like overkill.
>
>     dstring dstrValue = to!dstring(5);
>     dchar dcharValue = to!dchar(dstrValue);
>
> ... this,
>
>     dchar dcharValue = to!dchar(5);
>
> ... writes out '\x005' ..or something close to that.

What exactly do you mean by "convert an integer to a dchar"?  Do you
mean converting an integer between 0 and 9 into a dchar representing its
digit value, or do you mean creating a dchar containing the unicode code
point represented by the int?

For the former:

	dchar ch = '0' + intValue;

(Though you will have to consider what should happen if intValue > 9.)

For the latter:

	dchar ch = cast(dchar) intValue;

Those who've learned LaTeX swear by it. Those who are learning LaTeX swear at it. -- Pete Bleackley