[Help Needed] - Debugging compilation time

ryuukk_ ryuukk.dev at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 12:44:06 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 22 October 2022 at 12:27:21 UTC, Hipreme wrote:
> On Friday, 21 October 2022 at 18:10:39 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:
>> I tried your project:
>>
>> Linux x64
>>
>> ```
>> git clone https://github.com/MrcSnm/HipremeEngine.git
>> cd HipremeEngine
>> dub build (once to download dependencies if any)
>> time dub build -f
>>

>> real	0m4.604s
>> user	0m3.686s
>> sys	0m0.900s
>> ```
>>
>> 4.6 sec for a FULL rebuild doesn't seem that bad
>>
>> and
>>
>> ```
>> real	0m1.730s
>> user	0m1.480s
>> sys	0m0.245s
>>
>> ```
>>
>> after editing one module, not bad at all
>>
>> As other people say:
>>
>> LDC for release with optimizations
>> DMD for development
>>
>> THat's what i personally do
>

> I'm not using anti virus :c
>
> Seems that Linux really is significantly faster for building ,
> 1.7secs for a rebuild seems pretty nice for me, though I can't
> say it happens the same on my ground

What exactly takes time? do you notice a specific module taking
longer than others? or is it the linker?

A module that is windows specific might be causing the issue you
are having

Try to output the mixin file and see what generates lot of code:
https://dlang.org/dmd-linux.html#switch-mixin

I'll see if i can test on Windows later today