Hipreme's #2 Tip of the day - Reducing .di files dependency

Hipreme msnmancini at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 26 15:46:30 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 25 October 2022 at 12:29:50 UTC, Andrey Zherikov
wrote:
> On Sunday, 23 October 2022 at 20:12:46 UTC, Hipreme wrote:
>> This will greatly reduce the number of import and dependencies
>> you need if you ever need to distribute a library.
>
> Could you elaborate more on the benefit? Does it reduce
> compilation time for dependency? If so then how much?

The main problem of that is when you actually get an import the
user does not need to know.
This is especially useful for dub projects, which if you import
an internal dependency of the project, think of a renderer.

I have the HipremeRenderer which uses OpenGL and DirectX-D. What
if I show that I'm importing directx-d which is so huge? What if
I'm just showing my .di files and the library file? The user
would not be able to use the library without getting directx-d.
And even worse, if I already guarantee that my renderer is self
contained, why would I make someone need to import another
library just to use mine? This is how it helps, the compilation
times depends on how much code your dependency have, if it was
std.regex, it could save you 2 to 3 seconds.