synchronized/shared associative array .require error

cc cc at nevernet.com
Mon Sep 5 03:24:04 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 3 September 2022 at 14:37:16 UTC, Steven
Schveighoffer wrote:
> On 9/2/22 3:15 PM, cc wrote:
>
>> Tried casting away shared as a workaround but I assume that
>> will cause some kind of TLS catastrophe.
>>

> I think it will be fine, but you may have an issue. You are
> returning a non-shared `VAL`, but your class is `shared`, which
> means `table`, and all the `VAL` and `KEY` inside must also be
> `shared`.
>
> If you cast away `shared` you have to put it back upon return.
>
> TLS should not be involved here at all, so there is no problem
> there.
>
> -Steve

Alright, so this is safe then?
```d
alias VAL[KEY] T;
auto require(KEY key) {
	auto unsharedT = cast(T) table;
	auto r = unsharedT.require(key);
	table = cast(shared) unsharedT;
	return cast(shared) r;
}
```
Was a bit surprised to see mutating `unsharedT` left `table`
unchanged and needed reassigning.