importC and cmake

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 19:44:23 UTC 2022

I was thinking about trying out importC with a library I have
used in the past (it's been a few years since I used it with D).
The library uses cmake to generate static or dynamic libraries (I
believe I did static with Windows and dynamic with Linux, but I
can't really recall).

My understanding of cmake is that it is used to generate the
files needed to build something in a cross-platform kind of way
(so make files for linux, project files for Visual studio, etc.).
This doesn't seem consistent with how importC works (which would
be using a D compiler to compile the project). I suppose I could
just try it and see if it works, but since the project uses cmake
I wonder if there aren't potentially things that cmake is doing
that are important and could get missed in this naive sort of
approach (for instance, it has a way to use algorithms written in
C++ by default, though they can be disabled in the cmake file).

Does anyone have any importC experience with libraries that are
built with a tool like cmake that could help make this clearer?