Function attribute best practices

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 16:42:44 UTC 2022

On 9/12/22 12:14 PM, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> What are best practices here?

attributes such as `pure`, `@nogc`, `nothrow`, `@safe` should all be
left to inference. Either the function can do those attributes, or it
cannot.

attributes such as `const` or `inout` are different -- these are *not*
inferred, and you need to use introspection to determine these. Which is
really unfortunate, because there's no easy way to say "const if this is
allowed" -- you have to repeat the implementation.

> Is this accurate: Because Foo is a template, it should not put any
> attribute on member functions? Or only member functions that use a
> member that depends on a template parameter? And non-members that are
> templates?
>
> It is scary because Foo works just fine until it is used with impure code.

It's not that scary, because I'm not sure what one would expect passing
in an impure function to the template.

> Is putting function attributes on unittest blocks for catching such issues?
>
> @nogc nothrow pure @safe
> unittest
> {
>      // ...
> }
>
> No, it isn't because unless my unittest code is impure, I can't catch my
> incorrect 'pure' etc. on my member functions.

Yes, this is exactly what you should do. You don't need to unittest
compiler inference -- just expect this to work. What you want to test is
if there's any code you wrote for Foo can make impure something that
should be pure. Things that Foo calls on its parameter should not count
towards your test, that's on the caller.

So for instance, create a dummy range that is pure, nogc, nothrow, safe,
and test Foo as a wrapper on that range, attributing the unittest with
that. And if that works, you should be good. You shouldn't have to test
that if you pass in an impure function, the thing becomes impure.

Caveat: if you have code that is compiled differently based on those
attributes, you should test those cases too to ensure coverage of the
code in question.

-Steve