short guide on getting started with D

cgenie cgenie at pm.me
Thu Apr 6 08:10:23 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 5 April 2023 at 05:52:33 UTC, thinkunix wrote:

Thank you for these remarks!

> My observations:
> #1 typo:  After that, add this meso.build file:
>
> "meso.build" should be "meson.build"

Fixed.

> #2 Does it matter where the dlang = import... block goes in the
> meson.build file?  I added it after the "test(..." in the first
> block and it seemed to work, but...
>
> #3 where is dep?  Is it a file or do I have to create it?
>
> I could only get you demo to work by removing the line
>
>   dependencies: deps
>
> from meson.build.  Then it created dub.json and dub ran it OK.
>
> No need for a reply, just my obvservations from someone who
> knows
> a little D and less meson.
>
> scot

Well, I added sample `deps`. Basically this is something like:

```
phobos = dependency('phobos', version: '2.100.2', method: 'dub',
static: true)
boilerplate = dependency('boilerplate', version: '1.9.1', method:
'dub', static: true)
serialized = dependency('serialized', version: '1.9.1', method:
'dub', static: true)

deps = [ phobos, boilerplate, serialized ]
```

I'm new to D and meson as well, this is what I found somewhere on
the inernet and it seemed to work for me.