Variable length arrays under -betterC?

Ferhat Kurtulmuş aferust at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 07:55:21 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 18 April 2023 at 06:20:43 UTC, Richard (Rikki) Andrew
Cattermole wrote:
> On 18/04/2023 1:33 PM, Salih Dincer wrote:
>> I understand from the thread this: D gives us -betterC but
>> nothing from the Phobos.  So he says, see what you have, do
>> what the hell you want!
>>
>> Am I wrong about this?
>
> Nope.
>
> -betterC means you have no runtime or standard library support.
>
> You are very much on your own.

With betterC, some Phobos functionality work. For instance, most
of std.range and std.algorithm will work. Problem is that there
is no list of those in the docs. If something does GC allocations
(std.container) or throws exceptions, it will not work. Based on
my experience, -betterC, as its name implies, still provides a
good programming experience rather than C.