std.experimental.allocator

Guillaume Piolat first.name at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 14:53:15 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 13 August 2023 at 16:10:32 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:

> Core API should subscribe to the premise: give memory
> allocation control (and therefore dealocation) back to the user

I'm not sure about why RAII is an issue, but I fully agree with
your stance about a simpler allocator, and one we can actually
build upon.

Great many C libraries work with just 3 preprocessor macros for
malloc, free, realloc, something like that. A standard struct
with 3 pointers in druntime would be great!

We just can't build upon std.experimental.allocator if it doesn't
work in betterC and WebASM.

And it should be clear by now that D programmers want
dependencies with fewer files, fewer concepts, fewer new names,
(and if I may less templatitis) else they won't build upon it.