D is a great language, but I've had a bad experience getting started

Hipreme msnmancini at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 14 12:59:04 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 14 December 2023 at 12:30:35 UTC, Renato wrote:
> Hi, I have been trying D for the last few days... I am only
> writing because I really, really like the language! It's
> absolutely stunning how the features it has are simple, well
> designed and at the same time incredibly advanced! All with an
> extremely fast compiler, which is almost unbelievable.

Yeah, D has a really bad experience in MacOS. If you want to use
it on mac, I suggest using LDC. And the package managers doesn't
do D justice. You want to get the zip and setup the environment
variables yourself, this is the best way to make it work.

The "D recommended way" to install is by using the install.sh
script, found at https://dlang.org/install.html

I personally never used GDC since I develop on Windows 99% of the
time (the other time is only used on the other platforms when I
need to develop specific things for them).

The error you're seeing is related to a DC variable. The D
Compiler variable. I would guess this is a problem caused by your
package manager when installing D.

I've been developing a game engine which does compiler execution
for the user because it can get quite hard to understand
depending on the size of the project.