D atomics

Joe at bloow.edu Joe at bloow.edu
Tue Dec 19 03:21:17 UTC 2023

How does one really use atomics in D?

shared string[int] AA;
AA[s[2]].atomicStore(s[1]);

causes a hangup.

If I just assign it "works":

AA[s[2]] = s[1];

I've had similar issues where:

atomicOp!"+="(X[Y],1);

fails and I have to use

X[Y].atomicStore(1);

or

atomicOp!"+="(count,1); // fails (does not increment count)

so I have to create a new variable

int rcount = atomicFetchAdd(count,1);

and this will increment count.

In fact, I don't know what works or what doesn't except by trial
and error. I don't even know how to go about thinking about these
issues. In my mind, when using multiple threads and shared
variables I try to use atomics to avoid any race conditions.
Usually this involves incrementing or storing values. I try to
use atomics that replace the single threaded concept but they do
not always seem to work.

Are there any known issues or is it just me? Should it just work?
is there any good reference that gets ones mind right for
multithreading? I have some idea but I rarely do multithreading
until lately(I guess because I now have the HP to care). I think
the main issue I tend to have is trying to convert single
threaded code in to multiple threads and missing certain key
issues.

E.g.,

I was doing a parallel for and it wasn't really working(it seems
the task pool stalls the entire pool until all tasks are
complete):

for(s; parallel(arr))
{
    // do stuff with s.
}

So I converted to using threads:

for(s; arr)
{
    new Thread({
    // do stuff with s.
    }).start();
} // slightly more complex as I limited the total number of
threads

But as I spun up threads I would get different threads working on
the same s. I imagined that this likely had something to do with
the variable being on the stack being reused. so I wrapped the
thread in a function:

for(ss; arr)
{
    void foo(typeof(ss) s)
    {
        new Thread({
        // do stuff with s.
        }).start();
    }
    foo(ss);
}

and this seemed to solve the problem. I imagine this is because
ss is duped by the function call essentially detaching it from
the loop code so it is unique across the thread.

But I guess I need to learn exactly how to deal with all these
problems rather than just hacking away.