betterC DLL in Windows

Tamas km212121 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 18:40:51 UTC 2023

On Saturday, 4 February 2023 at 18:27:34 UTC, Adam D Ruppe wrote:
> On Saturday, 4 February 2023 at 18:11:05 UTC, Tamas wrote:
>> Well, as I'm new to D this isn't something I have insight into.
>
> Then you'd probably be better off taking my word for it (or
> even trusting your own limited experience where things worked
> until you added the switch) and just not using -betterC switch.
>
> It is hopelessly broken, but thankfully, it also brings zero
> benefit, so simply not using it is a viable path forward.

I do take your word for it, but now I have to re-evaluate my
expectations towards D and perhaps use it for another project.
I've got most of my project working in C already, but I was
hoping to add some safety and better readability/managability by
using some of the convenient features D offers over C. And, of
course, learn D in the process. Also, your words give me the
impression that I cannot trust the documentation; which isn't a
great start into the learning process.

>> I mostly need interop with C libraries and D would only serve
>> as a glue, so I don't really need several features like GC etc.
>
> Just don't call those functions and they won't hurt you, aside
> from adding ~200 KB of size to the dll. On the other hand, the
> -betterC switch is hurting you - as evidenced by your own
> attempt working until you added it.

It can be evidence of something broken in D as you say
(simplified) or of my lack of experience with D - a simple
missing include, badly configured PATH, or lack of understanding
on my part what SimpleDllMain does.