How can I easily determine the last charachter of a file?

seany seany at uni-bonn.de
Tue Feb 14 18:30:05 UTC 2023

Hello

Consider the content of a file

````
First line \n
Second line ....
data data data data  ... last char

````

My goal is to find out whether the last character is a new line
or not. Please not, it will be sufficient if this works on Linux.

More specifically I want to insert a new line at the end of the
file. File.writeline inserts a line at the end of the _newly
added line_.

Thus if I had

````
First line \n
Second line ....
data data data data  ... non-NL-char

````

and wanted to insert : `newline-word-word-word ... non-NLchar`

Via `file.writeln`, it would end up as

````
First line \n
Second line ....
data data data data  ... non-NL-char{no newline or whitespace
here}Newline-word-word-word ... non-NLchar{newline}

````

This is not unexpected. But, I want to make sure, that my
appending automatically adds a new line. However, it should not
add empty lines.

One brute force method is to copy every line of the file to a
temp file or in the RAM and then write back in the original file.
I would like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks.