Using Windbg to debug D applications and unittests

solidstate1991 laszloszeremi at outlook.com
Sat Feb 25 15:55:33 UTC 2023

I had a lot of trouble trying to get Visual Studio to catch
handled exceptions, which would have been mandatory for debugging
unittests, but I either forgot how to do it, or something have
changed in either the newer versions of VS or the D compilers I
use (LDC, DMD).

So I downloaded the new WinDbg Preview, which is like the older
WinDbg but with some new features and a new GUI. This would also
allow me (in theory) to get rid of VS in the future or only keep
it for other projects. So far I struggle to set up breakpoints
that actually work and doesn't just step over them. It also
doesn't like templates, especially if there's multiple instances
of them. (Also I couldn't find any way to break on exceptions so
far.)