Which TOML package, or SDLang?

Mathias LANG geod24 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 15:12:37 UTC 2023

On Monday, 30 January 2023 at 06:38:46 UTC, Daren Scot Wilson
wrote:
> So, which package do I use for TOML?
>
> I find these three:
>
> * toml-foolery  (Andrej Petrović)
> * toml-d, or toml.d (oglu on github) at ver 0.3.0
> * toml, (dlang community on github) at ver 2.0.1
>
> I'm guessing from version numbers that the third one, toml, is
> officially good for real world use. But I wonder if there are
> good reasons to use the others.

I would go with the dlang-community one, whenever available.

> Also, a low-effort search for TOML in the D world turned up
> SDLang, where the substring "DLang" has nothing to do with
> dlang, the common short name for D Language. SDLang looks nice.
> Should I ditch TOML for it?

I would not recommend it. SDL (Simple Declarative Language) is a
language we have support for, but it's rather unknown - TOML will
probably be simpler for end users.

> I just realized - it's been ages since I've dealt with config
> files, beyond editing them as an end user. I work on existing
> software where someone else made the choiced and wrote the
> code, or it's a small specialized project not needing config.
> I'm a config caveman!
>
> This is for a small fun personal project with potential
> show-off value, available on github but too primitive for now
> to mention. Controlling hardware, needing to store device info
> to recall for later runs. There are zero compatibility or
> standards issues to consider.  Whatever is simplest to
> implement and tinker with is the winner.

If I can allow a shameless self plug, and if you are willing to
consider YAML:
https://github.com/dlang-community/configy

If you are willing to stick to a "simple" config where you
essentially want some values to end up in a struct, and want
decent error messages, this is for you.