Zapping a dynamic string

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 17:46:22 UTC 2023

On 7/4/23 1:01 PM, Cecil Ward wrote:
> I have a mutable dynamic array of dchar, grown by successively appending
> more and more. When I wish to zap it and hand the contents to the GC to
> be cleaned up, what should I do? What happens if I set the .length to zero?

If you want to forget it so the GC can clean it up, set it to `null`. If
you set the length to 0, the array reference is still pointing at it.

If you want to reuse it (and are sure that no other things are referring
to it), you can do:

```d
arr.length = 0;
arr.assumeSafeAppend;
```

Now, appending to the array will reuse the already-allocated buffer
space. Obviously, if you have data in there that is still used, you
don't want to use this option.

-Steve