Advice on debugging possible exception or crash

Cecil Ward cecil at cecilward.com
Thu Jul 6 06:00:04 UTC 2023

My program is instrumented with a load of writeflns. At one point
it looks as though it suddenly quits prematurely because the
expected writeflns are not seen in the output. It could be that I
am just reading the flow of control wrong as it goes ret, ret
etc. I’m wondering if it is throwing an exception, or has a fault
initiating a crash, perhaps even due to the fetching of arguments
of one of the writeflns. In my limited experience, exceptions
produce an error message though, and I’m not seeing anything. Any
advice on how to debug this, silent termination ?

I don’t have a debugger on this machine, but on an x86-64 box I
could use gdb if I first take the time to work out how.