Installing GDC / Linux / x86-64 when apt-get doesn’t work

Cecil Ward cecil at cecilward.com
Tue Jul 11 06:24:06 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 11 July 2023 at 05:49:36 UTC, Sergey wrote:
> On Tuesday, 11 July 2023 at 04:11:38 UTC, Cecil Ward wrote:
>> I’m trying to install GDC on a new Linux box and I don’t know
>> what I’m doing. Background: I have installed LDC successfully
>> and have installed GDC on a Raspberry Pi using 32-bit ARM.
>>
>> For some reason the apt-get command doesn’t work on this
>> machine, don’t know why. The machine is a virtual server
>> hosted on the internet and I can get support for the o/s.
>>
>> What is the recommended procedure for fetching the x86-64
>> prec-compiled GDC?
>
> Check the web about reprex and write what have you tried to
> run, which error you got, some more information about the
> system, root rights.
>
> Have you tried to download deb package manually and use dpkg
> command?

I think the problem might have been that I did apt-get not apt
and I was not running as root, just now I elevated with sudo and
ran apt -y install gdc and that worked so by fumbling about I
appear to have solved it.

That was the x86-64 box. I haven’t been able to install GDC on my
Apple M2 ARM Aarch64 Mac though, no idea how to find it for OSX
Aarch64.