Garbage Collectors

IchorDev zxinsworld at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 11:59:56 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 19 July 2023 at 11:27:14 UTC, Richard (Rikki)
Andrew Cattermole wrote:

> druntime supports registering of GC's not compiled with
> druntime.
>
> But because some of the machinery isn't available to you, you
> would have to recreate it.

Oh right, so it's more of a matter of making GC-related code part
of the GC implementation so that it's more convenient for others
to build their own GC on top of it.

> So in practice you cannot find a GC on the dub-registry to try
> it out. Even if one were to exist, you would have to do a new
> build of druntime/phobos special which isn't the easiest thing
> to do.

Just to confirm: would none of this would require *me*
recompiling DRuntime at all, or is it that DRuntime would have to
be modified to the point where anyone else registering a unique
GC from user code wouldn't have to recompile DRuntime?