Recommendation on plotting library

Chris Piker chris at hoopjump.com
Thu Jul 20 02:37:54 UTC 2023

Hi D

One of my jobs is to release and maintain public data archives
from long-running scientific instruments.  In order to help
people understand how to process the data, sample code is often
included with the archive. Recently this has been in the form of
short programs that generate a plot of a representative time
period.  Python works well for this task as matplotlib support is
pretty much universal.  Matlab is also a reasonable choice for
many.

Were I to also provide sample code in D, what library would you
recommend for scientific plotting, especially for dynamic power
spectral densities generated from time-series data (basically
heatmaps)?

Since dub can pull down dependencies easily enough and since it
supports single file projects it seems that D would be well
suited to this task, but I've never plotted any data directly
from a D program.  Many GUI libraries I see for D are wrappers
around external C or C++ based libraries that would need to be
installed separately.  I'd like to avoid such complications if
that's possible.

Thanks for any advice,