Recommendation on plotting library

Chris Piker chris at hoopjump.com
Fri Jul 21 22:53:34 UTC 2023

On Friday, 21 July 2023 at 17:40:25 UTC, Greggor wrote:

> Up to date versions of Windows 10 should have curl included and
> dub can run commands before building, so you could try
> downloading a prebuilt lib for windows via curl.
> https://everything.curl.dev/get/windows

Hey, nice!  This might be a winner.  Unless I'm missing something
libcairo-2.dll, libpng13.dll and zlib1.dll could be downloaded,
and then ggplotd plot can build against those (probably?).

The key thing that dub is missing compared to pip is some concept
of an "install" directory.  Compared to everything else dub
handles, not adding this capability mostly comes down to self
imposed limitations.  I wonder how many in the community would
like to see those limitations removed?

I presume it's just as easy to add commands that run after the
build as before.  I could have an alternate dub configuration
that's short for "setup_build_test_install" that runs everything.

If multiple projects start defining an install target the same
way, then you have a convention, which can eventually lead to a
standard.