Which D compiler is the most maintained and future-proof? [DMD GDC and LDC]

Guillaume Piolat first.name at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 16:45:25 UTC 2023

On Monday, 24 July 2023 at 09:20:05 UTC, BoQsc wrote:
> There are three compilers present in the Dlang website: DMD GDC
> and LDC

DMD can build much faster than LDC. In some cases it is quite
extreme, for example the product I work on has a 3.6x faster
debug build time with DMD (well, only with --combined -b debug).

It may be a bit more crucial that it seems to work with DMD for
fast iteration, if you need a lot of experiments. It seems the
product is benefiting from using DMD for prototyping, even though
it was an accident at first.

I wanted to compare the run times, but the same project doesn't
build with DMD and optimizations. Usually LDC is 2x the speed,
and LLVM output accelerate a bit over time as the optimizer gets
smarter.

(Numbers with LDC 1.33.0 and DMD 2.104.0)