A couple of questions about arrays and slices

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Sat Jun 24 01:28:03 UTC 2023

On Friday, June 23, 2023 7:02:12 PM MDT Cecil Ward via Digitalmars-d-learn
wrote:
> I just had a fight with LDC over the following code when I tried
> out reserve. I have an associative array that maps strings to
> ‘ordinals’ ie uints that are unique, and the compiler hates the
> call to reserve.
>
> ==
>

> struct decls_t
>   {
>   uint                        n_entries = 0;
>   uint[ dstring ]     ordinals;   // Associative array maps variable
> names to ordinals
>   }
>
> static decls_t Decls;
>
> enum NPreAllocEntries = 32;
> Decls.ordinals.reserve( NPreAllocEntries );
>
> source>(82): Error: none of the overloads of template
> `object.reserve` are callable using argument types
> `!()(uint[dstring], ulong)`
> /opt/compiler-explorer/ldc1.32.1/ldc2-1.32.1-linux-x86_64/bin/../import/obje
> ct.d(3983):        Candidate is: `reserve(T)(ref T[] arr, size_t
> newcapacity)` Compiler returned: 1

Associative arrays and dynamic arrays are completely different things.
Associative arrays are hash tables, and reserve really doesn't make sense
for them. reserve is for telling the GC to make sure that a dynamic array
has at least a specific amount of room to grow into before the GC needs to
do a reallocation so that the dynamic array refers to a different memory
block with enough memory to hold the data, whereas if and when associative
arrays have to reallocate any of their internals is largely
implementation-defined.

Any time that you add or remove elements from an AA, it might reallocate
some of its internals depending on its current state and what the key of the
element is - and that could be different between different compiler releases
(though it's unlikely to change very often, since I don't think that the AA
implementation gets messed with much).

You can use the rehash function on AAs to tell the GC to try to reorder how
it's structured all of its buckets so that lookups are more efficient with
the data that's currently in there, and you can call clear to remove all its
elements, but in general, you don't do much to manage an AA's memory. It's a
much more complicated data structure than an array.

https://dlang.org/spec/hash-map.html

- Jonathan M Davis