Use dub to create source lib and executables

Chris Piker chris at hoopjump.com
Sat Mar 4 21:21:31 UTC 2023

On Saturday, 4 March 2023 at 20:23:29 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> On 3/4/23 1:33 PM, Chris Piker wrote:
>
> If you mean that you have multiple subprojects inside your main
> dub project, my advice is to follow what other such projects
> do. I always look at vibe for my example.

I have been trying to do that for hours, and all I get is cryptic
error messages from dub.  I've tried all in one top level
dub.json, I've tried three dub.json files, one at the top level
and one for each of lib and utilities.  The fact that dub
considers the output of a project to only be a single lib, exc,
etc. is quite restrictive and it means we have to have a target
of "none" and then subprojects, which is cumbersome at best.

Maybe it's just the frustration talking, but it seems wrong that
a build rule that is so trivial to construct using 1980s
makefiles is so hard today.  If I wasn't trying to blend in I
would have just given up a long time ago.

But thanks for mentioning vibe.d as an example I'll take a look.