A Programmer's Dilema: juggling with C, BetterC, D, Macros and Cross Compiling, etc.

PeeWee PeeWee at gmail.com
Mon May 1 06:43:26 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 30 April 2023 at 17:51:15 UTC, Eric P626 wrote:

> # Language
>
> I am currently using plain C and I love it. I am allergic to
> C++ and object oriented programming.
> ..

So... what can you do in C that you cannot do in C++ ??

C++ is essentially C .. plus.. you get 'selective' access to any
and all the features of C++, should you ever decide some are
actually useful in your projects.

C++ does not require you to think in terms of 'objects'. It just
enables you to do so, if its helpful in your problem domain. It
also enables you to just code in C, like you already do.

btw. Some of the worlds largest and most *successful* software
projects are in fact... object oriented, not because its OOP, but
because that style of programming was suitable in that particular
problem domain.

Of course some of the worlds most successful software projects
are written in pure C.

As much as I like D, I simply cannot say the same as above, for D
-> yet.

I tried betterC a long...long time ago. The more I used it, the
less I used it ;-)

Maybe things have changed.