Symbolic computations in D

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 13:43:27 UTC 2023

On Monday, 30 October 2023 at 13:24:56 UTC, Sergey wrote:
> On Monday, 30 October 2023 at 13:13:47 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
>> On Sunday, 29 October 2023 at 10:44:03 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:
>> Julia is more an alternative to R, Matlab, Python than C++.
>
> Not really.
>
> Many especially popular and widely used (NumPy, PyTorch,
> data.table) libraries for R and Python implemented with C/C++.
> Without using them, it is just impossible to get good
> performance.
>
> So there is "2 language" problem. Someone should create C++
> engine + Python/R interface.
> Julia propose to solve this issue - since you are able to
> implement fast engine and interface both in Julia.

There are aspects of Julia that are certainly nice. I'm just
saying that most users of Julia would be more likely to use that
instead R/Matlab/Python, rather than instead of C++.

There are probably many areas where with R or Python, you would
normally implement it with C or C++, whereas with Julia you could
probably do just as well with raw Julia. However, that's not to
say that Julia doesn't also rely on that same approach when it is
beneficial. For instance, it can use standard BLAS/LAPACK
libraries [1] for linear algebra that are written in C.

There's nothing really wrong with that. They shouldn't re-write
the wheel if there is already a highly performant solution.

[1] https://docs.julialang.org/en/v1/stdlib/LinearAlgebra/