Is sizeof() available in D language?

user1234 user1234 at 12.de
Mon Sep 4 09:55:29 UTC 2023

On Monday, 4 September 2023 at 09:41:54 UTC, BoQsc wrote:
> I've seen everyone using **datatype**`.sizeof` property.
>
> https://dlang.org/spec/property.html#sizeof
>
> It's great, but I wonder if it differ in any way from the
> standard C function `sizeof()`.
>
> https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/sizeof-operator-c/
> https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/sizeof
>
> I'm seeking for some speed/performance, so that's why the
> question.
> Overall I'm alright with continuing using it.

In both case it's replaced at compile-time by an
IntegerExpression (the ast node for an integer literal)

I would not loose too much time comparing the "postfix" style (D)
with the "intrinsic" style (C). Possibly there might a few micro
ops difference... so only significant compile-time difference for
1 Billion `sizeof` ;)