The difference between the dates in years

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 11 03:08:54 UTC 2024

On 2/10/2024 6:01 PM, matheus via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Saturday, 10 February 2024 at 22:11:48 UTC, Brad Roberts wrote:
>> Back when I was doing lots of software developer interviews, one of my
>> frequent questions involved date math.  This wasn't because it's
>> difficult from a coding standpoint, but that it's NOT a coding
>> problem. The key part of the question is realization that it's a
>> requirements question.  The thing that makes dates complicated is
>> defining what the question actually is.
>>
>> The topic _seems_ like it should be simple, but the deeper you dig the
>> more you realize it's anything but simple.
>>

> Interesting but I have a doubt, they (Interviewees) should do the test
> with already existing Date Functions of given language or write new ones?
>
> Matheus.

My interviews were never tests, they were discussions that might also
involve coding tasks.  In this case, the discussion was about
requirements gathering disguised initially as a coding task.  By and
large, I never put a lot of weight on the coding parts themselves and
mostly focused on problem solving and thinking skills.  If the candidate
couldn't get past writing code and wouldn't ask questions, that was a
very bad sign.