length's type.

bachmeier no at spam.net
Mon Feb 12 19:27:12 UTC 2024

On Monday, 12 February 2024 at 17:26:25 UTC, Nick Treleaven wrote:
> On Friday, 9 February 2024 at 15:19:32 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> It's been discussed many, many times. The behavior is not
>> going to change - there won't even be a compiler warning.
>> (You'll have to check with the leadership for their reasons.)
>
> Was (part of) the reason because it would disrupt existing
> code? If that was the blocker then editions are the solution.

I don't want to write a speculative answer on Walter's reasoning,
but I know that (a) this has come up many times, and (b) I've
never seen him express an opinion that anything in the language
related to unsigned types is problematic. I can't imagine that he
has any intention of changing it, given the number of times it's
been raised, but I can't claim any special knowledge of his views.