what was the problem with the old post blit operator already ?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Thu Feb 15 02:29:27 UTC 2024

On Thu, Feb 15, 2024 at 02:17:15AM +0000, Basile B. via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> From what I remember, it was that there was no reference to the
> source.  Things got blitted and you had to fix the copy, already
> blitted. Was that the only issue ?

I don't quite remember all of the reasons now. But yeah, one of the
problems with postblit was that you don't have access to the original
copy. That precludes some applications where you need to look up data
from the original or update the original.

And if you have immutable fields they've already been blitted and you
can't fix them anymore, not without casting away immutable and putting
yourself in UB zone.

There may have been other issues with postblit, I don't quite remember
now.

Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth