Would you recommend TDPL today?

Mike Shah mshah.475 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 03:52:44 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 16 January 2024 at 02:58:03 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Monday, January 15, 2024 7:25:32 PM MST matheus via
> Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
>> [...]
>
>>[...]
> that have since changed or which were never implemented (e.g.
> synchronized classes never became a thing; synchronized
> functions still exist, but TDPL talks about them being replaced
> with synchronized classes and that never happened - and likely
> will never happen). There's also an errata for it, but AFAIK,
> that just fixes some mistakes it; it doesn't update it. This
> wiki entry tries to list some of the differences, but I expect
> that it also is rather out-of-date at this point:
>
> https://wiki.dlang.org/Differences_With_TDPL
>
> So, TDPL is a good resource, but you have to take into account
> the fact that some of the details are wrong, which you may not
> want to do. In that respect, Ali's book would likely work
> better:
>
> http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/index.html
>
> It was written more recently, and I'm pretty sure that Ali has
> updated it on some basis. I fully expect that there are things
> that you'd get out of TDPL that you wouldn't get from Ali's
> book, so there's definitely something to said for reading both,
> but again, whether that makes sense largely depends on whether
> you want to deal with figuring out which parts of TDPL are
> still valid.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

I'll also add that Adam's Book (D Cookbook) and Mike Parkers Book
(Learning D) are both excellent. Mike's is mostly up to date,
minus I think the post-blit function calls. Adam's has lots of
various samples (may be good to read alongside, or otherwise
after Ali or Mike's book once you have a feel for the language).