Understanding the Use of Nested Import and Selective Import in D

Orfeo dlang at orfeo.fastmail.com
Tue Jan 16 13:19:59 UTC 2024

I found myself a bit perplexed when it comes to the usage of
"nested imports" and selective imports. It seems that prominent D
programmers have varied opinions on the matter. I would love to
hear your insights and experiences on this topic.

Here's a quick summary of what I've come across from three
influential D programmers:

- Adam Ruppe: In his blog post titled [D's selective imports have
effects you may not
want](http://dpldocs.info/this-week-in-arsd/Blog.Posted_2023_11_06.html) have effects you may not want, Adam advises against the use of selective imports. He highlights potential unwanted side effects and suggests caution when employing them.

- Atila Neves: At DConf 2023, Atila Neves recommended the use of
nested imports. He argues that nested imports can make
refactoring easier and help in assessing the dependencies a
function has.

- Rober Schadek: Also at DConf 2023, Rober Schadek discouraged
the use of nested imports, taking a stance different from Atila
Neves.

Now, the big question is: What's your preferred approach?