DMD windows and Clang's llvm-link.exe

Carl Sturtivant sturtivant at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 03:46:27 UTC 2024

On Saturday, 9 March 2024 at 22:07:05 UTC, Richard (Rikki) Andrew
Cattermole wrote:
> lld is used and distributed with dmd and ldc.
>
> That is known to work.
>
> If you have MSVC, it'll prefer that however.

Interesting, perhaps I should have known that, though I have not
used DMD on Windows for many years until now.

I have this from a 64-bit "Developer Command Prompt":
```
> lld-link --version
LLD 9.0.0 (https://github.com/dlang/installer
d4266cf3dccfd7a7d361d28143f86e98b2da8db8)
> dmd --version
DMD64 D Compiler v2.107.0
Copyright (C) 1999-2024 by The D Language Foundation, All Rights
Reserved written by Walter Bright
```
Whereas from an MSYS2 Clang64 terminal I have this:
```
$ lld-link --version
LLD 17.0.6$ clang --version
clang version 17.0.6
```
suggesting that there's a reason version 9 instead of 17 of lld
is being used in the latest DMD installation, that may be
relevant what I'd like to try. Any idea what that might be?