How to make a struct containing an associative array to deeply copy (for repeated usage in foreach) ?

bachmeier no at spam.net
Fri Mar 15 21:18:30 UTC 2024

On Friday, 15 March 2024 at 20:36:56 UTC, rkompass wrote:

> I'm quite new to D yet. But I have some acquaintance with
> Python.
> Therefore, together with templates the discovery of the Variant
> type was inspiring me to the following:
> I wanted to explore if it's possible to do sort of
> type-agnostic programming with D. This could perhaps enable a
> simpler translation of Python code to D.
>
> Trying with a `Variant[Variant] dct;` dictionary I observed
> that even simple assignment of key:value pairs was not possible
> as the different types are not automatically cast to a Variant.

You're not the first one. There's no technical reason for the
restriction. It's simply a matter of being opposed by those who
make these decisions on the basis that it's the wrong way to
program or something like that. Here is a recent thread:
https://forum.dlang.org/post/ikwphfwevgnsxmdfqqkl@forum.dlang.org