End of file: end of medium?

Regan Heath regan at netwin.co.nz
Mon Apr 3 16:21:17 PDT 2006

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 16:11:04 -0700, BCS <BCS_member at pathlink.com> wrote:
> Luís Marques wrote:
>> In article <e0s5nm$1rpr$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, pragma says...
>>
>>> 0x1A (or CTRL-Z or ASCII 26) is a holdover from CP/M, which Windows
>>> inherited
>>> via DOS:
>>>
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2004/03/16/90448.aspx
>>>
>>> The 'copy' command that the article mentions works something like this:
>>>
>>> c:\> copy con > foobar.txt
>>>
>>> This will copy every keypress to the text file until you press
>>> CTRL-Z.  Its
>>> actually pretty handy if you're repairing a system with a paperclip, a
>>> battery
>>> and some duct-tape.
>>   That's very interesting. I use CTRL-Z in several console programs but
>> I didn't
>> know programs read that as \u001A nor from where that convention came.
>>  I still don't really grok the relationship between CTRL-[X] codes and
>> ASCII/Unicode, on unix and windows, but I guess that's another story.
>>  Which also makes me wonder, if it wasn't a type afterall, what's the
>> purpose of
>> characters like \u0019. The sites listing Unicode characters don't
>> generally have much semantic
>> information on them.
>>  Luís
>

> IIRC CTRL-[x] ends up, in ASCII, masking out a single bit from [x], I
> think it is the 64s place but I may be wrong.

I think you're correct. If you look at an ASCII character table, find the
@ character, you'll notice that following it in sequence are the capital A
thru Z characters, then [ \ ] ^ _

CTRL+[X] where [X] is one of those characters results in the value of that
character with the 64s place masked, eg.

@ == 0x40, CTRL+@ == 0x00
A == 0x41, CTRL+A == 0x01
..
Z == 0x5A, CTRL+Z == 0x1A