not operator operator..

S. Chancellor dnewsgr at mephit.kicks-ass.org
Tue Apr 4 06:13:23 PDT 2006

On 2006-04-03 23:29:54 -0700, Norbert Nemec <Norbert at Nemec-online.de> said:

> Sorry, I don't agree. != has been in C for ages and any C programmer
> should therefore understand !in or !is.
>
> Unlike in natural language text, source code does ! become more readable
> when using words. It may slightly help the newbie, but it will get in
> the way for everyday use.
>
> The problem of Perl, for example, is not that it uses cryptic operators,
> but that it uses too many, so that it takes a long time to know all of
> them. the die-hard Perl users love that because it really improves
> productivity, but any outsider is left in the rain.
>
> For D, it is important to find the right measure which lies somewhere in
> between Perl and Cobol:
> http://www.csis.ul.ie/COBOL/Exercises/Exm-AcmeStockReorder/Prg-AcmeStockReorder.htm

The

issue !is that !is is ! easy to understand, the issue is that it's a
bad solution to an artificial problem.   Have word based operators, or
don't.   The reason 'is' was picked is it's used in other languages for
equivalence.  I don't see !is anywhere.  If we're not going to stick
with the standard solution why not go to some other symbol for
equivalence.   Hell, we could just write :

Foo # Bar
Foo @ Bar

Not to mention that i's and !'s should never be next to each other:

!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i

-S.