not operator operator..

Regan Heath regan at netwin.co.nz
Tue Apr 4 15:29:44 PDT 2006

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 23:13:29 +0100, John C <johnch_atms at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> code is supposed to be beautiful.
>>
>> code is not supposed to be english, it's supposed to be code.
>> code _is_ beautiful, english is not.
>
> Clearly you've never read Yeats, Auden or Eliot. Frankly they make
> English more beautiful than any code I've seen.

In visual appearance or actual meaning? I think code and writing can be
compared in similar terms, i.e. does it get it's point across, does it do
so elegantly, etc. However the actualy thing you measure to detemine those
factors is different in each case. i.e. in the case of code whitespace in
the right places can make the point of the code clearer.. I think it has
less impact on writing. I could be wrong.

In either case I think OP was referring to visual appearance of the actual
characters in combination. This is obviously affected by the font used (as
I suggested in another post) and (as Derek mentions) what you're used to.

Regan