Linux prelink breaks DMD and GDC executables.

Dave Dave_member at pathlink.com
Fri Apr 7 21:09:36 PDT 2006

prelink (http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/prelink.8.html) screws up
some D executables built by DMD or GDC v0.17, which is a potentially
large problem because it is installed to run automatically by default on
a lot of Linux systems (for most common system bin directories) from
what I gather.

I've seen odd problems apparently caused by prelink on C++ executables
too (that's what prompted me to try it w/ D exe's), so the wisdom of
having prelink run by default seems dubious at best. It's purely
cause-and-effect for me because I haven't the time to dig into exactly
what is happening to cause the problems.

On Fedora systems a driver script is setup in /etc/cron.daily.

I've been able to prevent the prelink by using the -L-pie switch
(http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hlfs/view/unstable/uclibc/chapter02/pie.html)

However, I'm not real familiar with exactly what the consequences of
-pie will be so I'm not recommending it, just putting this info. out
there in the hopes that someone can explain the problem and work toward
a fix.

Obviously, this could have big consequences as more and more D
executables make their way out into the wild in system bin directories.

Anyone?

Thanks,

- Dave