Complex number functions for std.math

Norbert Nemec Norbert at Nemec-online.de
Sat Apr 8 16:08:15 PDT 2006

Don Clugston wrote:
> I think we could easily amass a lobby group of 100% of the users of
> complex numbers in D to have a 'complex' alias set up in math.d. And
> gradually phase out use of creal (which I think would be better named
> cfloat80 or similar -- make the underlying type itself be of fixed size).

Well, the whole discussion is pretty much pointless unless Walter is
willing to touch the topic again. When the topic came up two years ago,
the final sentence was something like: "Well, I agree that creal sounds
stupid, but we are not going to roll this up yet again." Obviously, the
name "creal" was the result of a tedious discussion a little while
before. That discussion was before my time and obviously nobody back
then had strong feelings against talking about "really complex numbers".
Therefore the final word still is: "Do in the library whatever you want,
the language definition will not be changed again."