auto classes and finalizers

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeirosATgmail at SPAM.com
Mon Apr 10 03:05:00 PDT 2006

Mike Capp wrote:
> In article <e1bj4r$1gt$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Bruno Medeiros says...
>> Some ideas where discussed here, but I didn't think any were fruitful. Like:
>>  *Forcing all classes with destructors to be auto classes -> doesn't
>> add any usefulness, instead just nuisances.
>
> Hmm, yes. Like private/protected member access specifiers - what usefulness do
> they add? Or requiring a cast to assign from one type to another - sheer
> nuisance!
>
> cheers
> Mike

Protection attributes and casts add usefulness (not gonna detail why).
Forcing all classes with destructors to be auto classes, on the other
hand, severily limits the usage of such classes. An auto class can not
be a global, static, field, inout and out parameter. It must be bound to
a function, and *cannot be a part of another data structure*. This
latter restriction, as is, is unacceptable, no?

--
Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student