What's the problem of D...,D will be dead?

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 02:45:13 PDT 2006

Boris Wang wrote:
> I like the D very much, just like other developers.
>
> but, i feel that the core development of D is too slow.

>From "The Zen of Python":

	Now is better than never.
	Although never is often better than *right* now.

I know how you feel: I want D 1.0, and I wants it now, but I would much
rather Walter takes his time and gets it *right*.

Which reminds me...

Walter: you have my undying gratitude for implicit template function
instantiation!  :)

> Where the mail list about development of D?

This would be it.

> D is GPLed?
>
> If D not GPL, IT WILL DIE!
>
> WHY NOT DO IT LIKE LINUX?

I assume you mean the compiler; probably because the D front end hooks
into the DigitalMars C compiler, which is closed source, and which
Walter still sells.  Also, I highly doubt D will die just because it
isn't GPLed.  There is LOTS of software that hasn't died that weren't GPLed.

D_Community > D_License

But, if you're absolutely desperate to have a GPLed D compiler, then
grab gdc which is the D front end hooked up to the gcc back end.  Linky:
http://home.earthlink.net/~dvdfrdmn/d/

	-- Daniel

--

v1sw5+8Yhw5ln4+5pr6OFma8u6+7Lw4Tm6+7l6+7D
a2Xs3MSr2e4/6+7t4TNSMb6HTOp5en5g6RAHCP    http://hackerkey.com/