Another GUI alternative?

Rémy Mouëza Rémy_member at pathlink.com
Fri Apr 21 09:25:42 PDT 2006

I like Fox toolkit. Fast and efficient, not too big. But I didn't do anything
valuable in it. Making a wrapper by hand for such a huge library will take a lot
of time. I don't want to be discourageing: you simply should use a wrapper
generator. I made one once, it is still available on remy.moueza.free.fr and
needs python and gccxml. Currently I no longer manage to compile gccxml. The
python code was written either at 6.00am when I was trying to wake up or after a
long day at 10pm when I was starting to sleep... Looking back at it, it's really
badly done. Too much spagetthi code. I shouldn't have based my entire design on
a visitor pattern.
However I managed to port a subset of the FLTK library to D with it. It wasn't
working well, because of a bad memory management but it was very encourageing.
For the moment, you should have a glance to the perl script used to generate the
wx.net wx_c lib. I think it's the most promising tool for the moment.
I am currently making a new (quite) small and simple wrapper generator, written
entirely in D and only using phobos regexp lib, but it won't be valuable any
soon. If you feel adventurous (and smart enough), you may wish to try to make an
even smaller and simpler generator using Peri Hankey's language machine on
languagemachine.sourceforge.net.

Best wishes and good luck !