Linux installation, even worse: search path for libphobos.a

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Sun Apr 23 09:21:21 PDT 2006

Norbert Nemec wrote:

>>You can find the DMD install instructions for non-root users on Wiki4D:
>>http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?D__Tutorial/InstallingDCompiler
>
> Nice, but this info should be found on the very official site at
> digitalmars: that's the first place a new user would search for it, and
> it should cover the common question of non-root installation.

Agreed, but those pages are managed only by Digital Mars and Walter.
All us mortals could do was to report the issue, and write the docs.

Maybe now with the new Bugzilla, one could make another attempt at it...
I wouldn't hold my breath though, haven't this been an issue for years ?

But if this is finally fixed one day, I would also like to see:
- a tarball with UNIX linefeeds, and the proper permissions set
- a "make install" for the DMD makefile, to install *all* of it

And EXE and RPM installers of course, but that's been discussed before.
I think that any packaging effort is better spent with GDC, than DMD...

>>I would "recommend" using the following locations, but as far as I know
>>there is no universal agreements on where these should go under Linux ?
>
> There is indeed no universial agreement for binaries, but there is a
> canonical place for configuration files:
> 	/etc/dmd.conf
> and
> 	$HOME/.dmd.conf
>
> The second one should definitely be searched first by the compiler, and
> the template of this file (dmd.zip//dmd/bin/dmd.conf) should contain not
> only the path to the phobos sources but also that to libphobos.a

I agree that DMD should search ~/.dmd.conf before /etc/dmd.conf.
But as a workaround you can set the DFLAGS environment variable,
and the DMD compiler *will* pick up on those settings instead...
(putting such an export in your profile is almost like a config?)

This should also be reported as a bone fide *bug*, against DMD...

--anders